Welcome to our latest edition of the Michigan Policast. Walt and I recorded this last Sunday, and Amy took the day off for some well-deserved downtime.
Today we talk about the latest polls. Mark Schauer up against Rick Snyder, Totten within striking distance of Schuette, and Peters has a good lead against Land. What will the independents / undecided do? How did the unknown Totten get so close to the guy who has run for every office there ever was? Is the ‘Land for Senate' campaign an insult to all Senate campaigns?
And why do right-wingers hate teachers? For the same reason they hate all good things. We talk about that too.
We also hand out some props to the good people in public service. Chris Thomas and Gretchen Whitmer get some love here.
Lots of links today.
- Editorial: Lawmakers clueless on Michigan's road to ruin
- Schauer edges ahead of Snyder, 45% to 43%, in new governor race poll
- Schuette has $1.9M to Totten’s $150K
- Tim Skubick: Is Attorney General Bill Schuette vulnerable in this election?
- Database: How much do Michigan teachers get paid?
- Mackinac Center Unveils New Website to Help MEA Members Opt Out During ‘August Window’
- The Truth About the Mackinac Center (pdf)
- State's minimum wage rising, but debate goes on over labor outlook
- Labor Day in Michigan Report: Pay Falls for Low-Wage Men yet Women Still Far Behind
- Michigan Minimum Wage Initiative (2014)
- State Official Has Reputation for Doing it the Right Way
- Sen. Gretchen Whitmer launches non-profit to focus on women's health, education