Michigan Policast for Monday, February 4 2019
Former MDP chair Brandon Dillon says the lessons learned in 2016 and 2018 will shape the party’s gameplay for 2020, and also says Gretchen Whitmer may have to go around the Legislature to “fix the damn roads”
And a whole lot more …
- Walt and Christine talk about Governor Whitmer’s first big test: the dangerous polar vortex that brought freezing temps to the state. What did it mean, how did she do, and how did it compare to Governor Snyder’s leadership during times of emergency?
- A lot of folks thought we were going to see a settlement in the federal lawsuit over Michigan’s gerrymandered districts, but instead, we’re going to court.
- Lavora Barnes takes over as the Chair of the MDP.
Fix the Damn Roads report: Just how bad are Michigan roads, and why?Congratulations to @LavoraBarnes on being elected to MDP party chair! @michigandems Click To Tweet
Resources for this week:
- Executive Order 2019-01 – Declaration of State of Emergency
- Gov. Whitmer holds cabinet meeting to inform public of actions the state took to protect its citizens
- MSP/EMHSD Publication 101 – Michigan Emergency Management Plan (MEMP)
- Michigan Democrats elect Barnes leader of state party – Detroit Free Press
- Lavora Barnes on Twitter
- Follow Brandon Dillon on Twitter
- State of Michigan roads go from poor to terrible – Detroit Free Press
- Get it Done: Rebuild Michigan – GRETCHEN WHITMER’S PLAN FOR SAFE ROADS, CLEAN WATER, AND A BETTER ECONOMY (pdf)
- Michigan’s roads earn D- grade in new report on state infrastructure