Michigan Policast for Monday, February 18, 2019
Governor Whitmer’s first State of the State focused on bipartisanship and opportunity, but it was met with a lukewarm response by the Republicans.
- The Republicans don’t have to like everything, but why no love for the women?
- Governor established her credibility with this State of the State. Can reasonable people agree that she knows the lawmakers’ jobs better than many of the lawmakers do?
- No more half-baked solutions, we just can’t afford it.
- Would Mike Shirkey have looked better in a different color suit? We think he should smile more.
In my speech I was encouraging people to see the humanity in one another in this cruel political environment. In an era when so many women are stepping up to lead, I’m hoping people will focus on our ideas and accomplishments instead of our appearance.
— Governor Gretchen Whitmer (@gretchenwhitmer) February 14, 2019
Christine cusses at 13:38. It’s this word that starts with a B. We promise that it has educational value in this context.
While we questioned why the women didn’t get a more enthusiastic response from the Republicans, we do give credit and thanks where it’s due. House Speaker Lee Chatfield showed his support for Governor Whitmer after Fox 2 News published the story on her appearance:
I just saw @FOX2News story about Gov. @gretchenwhitmer’s apparel for #SOTS address. The story is ridiculous & never should have given these losers a platform to make these inappropriate statements. Her speech was what mattered! I support her 100% on this! #MyGovernor #GetALife
— Lee Chatfield (@LeeChatfield) February 14, 2019
Governor Gretchen Whitmer puts forth an ambitious vision for education, skills, and opportunity in her Inaugural State of the StateClick To Tweet
What’s up with the Green New Deal? Andy Sarpolis of the Michigan Sierra Club joins us to help sort things out.
Resources for this week:
State of the State:
- Governor Whitmer’s Full State of the State Address on YouTube
- Welcoming new lawmakers and recognizing the women in government – 4.12
- Calling for people to share their stories – 13.10
- No more half-baked solutions, we have to do the full job – 27.11
- Banning discrimination on sexual orientation and gender identity and expanding Elliot Larsen – 30.48
- Equal pay for women – 32.15
- Opportunity Zones in Michigan – 34.28
- Education and three paths to skills – 37.41
- Supplemental pdf docs for State of the State 2019
- Governor Whitmer’s official State of the State 2019 website
- The Elliot-Larsen Civil Rights Act (pdf)
- Senate Majority Leader Mike Shirkey
- House Speaker Lee Chatfield
- Michigan Congressional Delegation (Wikipedia)
- Michigan State House – Democrats here and Republicans here
- Michigan Senate – Democrats here and Republicans here
- Gov. Whitmer freezes $10-million slice of pork served to tiny township by lame-duck Republicans (Bobby Schostak story)
- Fox 2 News “man on the street” article on the Governor’s appearance
The Green New Deal
- Michigan Sierra Club website and on Twitter
- Andrew Sarpolis on LinkedIn here and Twitter here
- Ocasio-Cortez says we need World War II-scale action on climate. Here’s what that looks like.
- 7 questions about the Green New Deal
- The Facts on the ‘Green New Deal’
- House Resolution Recognizing the Duty of the Federal Government to Create a Green New Deal (pdf of full text)
'In order to achieve the goals we need to combat climate change, we find that democracy is a really important issue.'Click To Tweet