Michigan Policast for March 11, 2019
Walt and Christine welcome Amy back to the show.
- The show kicks off with a conversation around the cost to #FTDR. How much do we really need? What does the business community think?
- Amy takes on the latest public approval ratings in Michigan, for President Trump, Governor Whitmer, and the state of things in general.
- Walt runs through HR-1. What’s in it and why should the House pass a bill that’s DOA in the Senate?
- Hank Mayers from Michiganders for Fair and Transparent Elections joins the show
Segment 1 – FTDR
- Business Leaders for Michigan applauds Gov. Whitmer for bold budget proposal
- MI Chamber Issues Response to Gov. Whitmer’s Budget Proposal to Fix the Roads
- ‘FIX THE DAMN ROADS’ WAS EASY. HOW TO PAY? NOT EASY.
- The Michigan governor’s gas-tax hike is a model plan for other states to follow
- Senate Fiscal Agency – The Rising Costs of Road Repair (pdf)
- MDOT – Transportation Funding
Segment 2 – Polls and approval ratings
- Statewide poll provides early indication of how Michigan voters may approach 2020 general election
- Poll finds Gov. Whitmer has 43 percent favorable rating, Trump has 40 percent
- EPIC▪MRA STATEWIDE POLL OF ACTIVE AND LIKELY 2020 NOVEMBER VOTERS (pdf)
- EPIC▪MRA STATEWIDE POLL OF ACTIVE AND LIKELY VOTERS – MAR 2011 (pdf) – Comparison data
Segment 3 – Hr-1 2019 passes the US House but will not get a vote in the Senate
- H.R.1 – For the People Act of 2019
- Voting Rights Roundup: Democrats pass historic bill to ban gerrymandering and secure voting rights
- McConnell maintains that Senate won’t take up election reform bill
- House Democrats pass H.R. 1, their answer to draining the swamp
Interview – Hank Mayers from Michiganders for Fair & Transparent Elections