Michigan Policast for April 1, 2019
This week Walt and Christine take on a handful of topics, starting with President Trump’s visit to Grand Rapids. Walt has soundbites and actual facts to rebut the crazy things trump spewed forth. We also discuss the anti-Trump Rally which included Richard Ojeda (Facebook video at bottom of post).
- AP FACT CHECK: Trump misleads on health care, Russia probe
- New: Former Dem presidential hopeful Richard Ojeda to headline anti-Trump rally
— Future Majority (@future_majority) March 29, 2019
In segment two we talk about the role of empathy in winning the 2020 elections. Which candidate can connect with the voters? Does policy have a place in showing empathy? This segment includes comments from Elissa Slotkin’s appearance on Real Time with Bill Maher.
Last night I went on @RealTimers to talk about the issues we’re focused on here in the Midwest: the cost of healthcare & prescription drugs, protecting people with pre-existing conditions –– and how to approach these issues pragmatically.
— Elissa Slotkin (@ElissaSlotkin) March 30, 2019
There’s a lot going on in segment three.
AG Nessel publishes opinion regarding the constitutionality of the Mackinac Straits Corridor Authority
- Attorney General Opinion on Constitutionality of 2018 PA 359 (pdf)
- Governor Whitmer Executive Directive 2019-13 regarding Public Act 359 of 2018 (pdf)
- Michigan Straits Corridor Authority meeting
- Enbridge to build $350M tunnel to protect Line 5 in Straits of Mackinac
- Enbridge design of the tunnel, taken from Enbridge Report to the State of Michigan: Alternatives for replacing Enbridge’s dual Line 5 pipelines crossing the Straits of Mackinac (pdf)
The Michigan Catastrophic Claims Association increases the per-vehicle assessment fee
- Gov. Whitmer Orders Audit into Michigan Catastrophic Claims Association
- Michigan Catastrophic Claims Association (MCCA) Update as of: April 16, 2018 (FAQ explaining how the annual assessment works)
- Michigan Catastrophic Claims Association Assessment History (pdf) (This is an awesome record of the annual assessments going back to 1978)
- Department of Insurance and Financial Services (DIFS)
- DIFS Audit of MCCA from 2015 (pdf)