Michigan Policast for April 8, 2019
On this episode, Christine and Walt get their hands dirty with some tough topics. We kick things off with Governor Whitmer asking the legislature to do their work and get a budget done on time. Will she own a shutdown should they come to an impasse? How does this compare to Trump’s shutdown over the wall?
- Whitmer ultimatum: No budget signature without ‘real’ road funding
- MIRS Monday, April 1, 2019 (audio) – Gov. Gretchen Whitmer says she won’t sign a budget that doesn’t include a road-funding fix, in this podcast with MIRS
- Michigan State Budget Office – Here’s everything you need to dig into the budget bills, associated documents, and spending reports
- Governor Rick Snyder’s blog post on the importance of getting budgets done on time
House Speaker Lee Chatfield won't 'compromise' the budget based on an 'artificially set date.' Because that's the choice he's offering -- you'll either give him his summer vacation, or you'll get garbage work. Click To Tweet
— Governor Gretchen Whitmer (@GovWhitmer) March 28, 2019
In segment two we continue the conversation around Speaker Lee Chatfield and his choice of words describing the actions taken by the Governor and Attorney General on Line 5. Is it fair to criticize his remarks as sexist? Audio includes the segment from his interview on WJR.
- Speaker Lee Chatfield, State House District 107
- Michigan Policast for April 1, 2019 (Includes a segment on AG Nessel legal opinion)
- Attorney General Opinion on Constitutionality of 2018 PA 359 (pdf)
- Governor Whitmer Executive Directive 2019-13 regarding Public Act 359 of 2018 (pdf)
- Stop calling women in politics ’emotional’
- Democrats: Chatfield’s remarks on Whitmer, Nessel show he’s ‘intimidated by powerful women’
Segment three is all about huggy Joe Biden. Is Joe just being Joe? And if so, is that because Joe is insensitive? Can anyone get it right?
- All the Women Who Have Spoken Out Against Joe Biden
- Joe Biden laments lack of personal connection in politics as he pledges to respect space
- Joe Biden, in Video, Says He Will Be ‘More Mindful’ of Personal Space
- One in 7 men say they’ve been sexually harassed at work (Not discussed but important to remember in this conversation)
- Sidin’ With Biden – Touch and Leadership (Also not discussed, but a good article on the topic of connecting with people as a leader)
Katie Fahey from Voters Not Politicians (VNP) talks to Walt about her work to build a national organization modeled after VNP.
- Katie Fahey on Twitter and on LinkedIn
- Katie Fahey of Voters Not Politicians to take Michigan model national
- The People
- One woman’s Facebook post leads to Michigan vote against gerrymandering
At 27, she was a political novice. Now 29, Katie Fahey is jumping to the national stage. She shares some hard lessons from the @NotPoliticians campaign to end #Gerrymandering in Michigan that she launched with a simple Facebook post. https://t.co/Sa4oVX2NPE by @rbeggin pic.twitter.com/b59wG5Al8t
— Bridge Magazine (@BridgeMichigan) April 1, 2019