This show covers big money, income equality, and the bliss of ignorance.
I start with data from a report called Income Inequality by State, and it ain't pretty. Some startling facts about Michigan:
- We're the 15th most unequal state when it comes to income
- The top 1 percent in Michigan took home 25 times more than the bottom 99 percent in 2012
- 1% took 82% of income growth in MIchigan since 2009 (recovery from great recession)
- In four states (Nevada, Wyoming, Michigan, and Alaska), only the top 1 percent experienced rising incomes between 1979 and 2007, and the average income of the bottom 99 percent fell.
- Lopsided income growth hurts Michigan
- Michigan union membership dropped significantly in 2014, first full year under right-to-work law
- Economic Fairness: Is it the government's job to close the income gap?
Amy and her research!! She's got some interesting information on the fight over
Rmoney's Romney's war chest. Check out her blog post here. These are some of the stats that she covers:
Walt takes us through “the ignorance caucus” … the folks who deliberately embrace ignorance over science. They deny climate change, they refuse to vaccinate, and overall, they just dumb-down the country. Sarah Palin is their spokesperson. She appeals to the stupid.
- The High Cost of Dissing Science (Walt's blog)
- Vaccination debate flares in GOP presidential race, alarming medical experts
- 30 percent of Americans agree with Chris Christie on vaccines; 13 percent of scientists do.
We also spend some time on the “solution” for Michigan roads. Links: