Michigan Policast for May 13, 2019
Opening audio: Trump and kooks. wtf?
Walt, Amy, and Christine kick off the show with a conversation on free speech on campus. What's protected? Where does Title IX come in? And why can't these folks figure out the difference between “free speech” on, say, Facebook, and “free speech” on a public campus. Amy has all the coverage here.
- What is Title IX?
- Title IX Frequently Asked Questions
- When Colleges Confine Free Speech to a ‘Zone,’ It Isn’t Free
- DOJ’s investigation of Northern Michigan University’s self-harm policies leads to settlement
- Northern Michigan U. Compensates 4 Who Were Threatened With Punishment for Speaking of Suicide
- Violence erupts on MSU campus as Richard Spencer speaks
- White nationalist Richard Spencer blames violent protesters for small crowd at MSU
Segment two covers the Democratic Presidential candidates and their approach to healthcare. Medicare for all? Does private insurance have a place in a universal single payer society?
- Where 2020 Democrats stand on Medicare-for-all
- Bernie Sanders Unveils ‘Medicare for All’ Bill
- Your ‘Medicare for All’ Questions, Answered
- They Said It – React To “Medicare For All” Push – “Would Bankrupt Us For A Very Long Time,” “You Can’t Just Pull The Rug Out,” “I’m Not There” – features commentary criticizing Medicare for all, compiled by a group dedicated to preserving/strengthening private insurers and employer-based healthcare.
- Getting to Medicare-for-All
- Democrats Have No Safe Options On Health Care
…Democrats are heading into the 2020 election cycle with a serious edge on an issue that has the potential to mobilize their base. But if the candidates pitch big, sweeping changes to the health care system without addressing voters’ concerns about cost and access, that advantage won’t necessarily hold up. And trying to sell Americans on a completely new system carries risks, even in the primaries. ~ Amelia Thomson-DeVeaux
- Talton: ‘Medicare for All’ might make economic sense
- Congressional hearing reveals complexity of ‘Medicare for All'
- Health care CEO: Medicare for all ‘would just collapse the system'
- Why Biden’s Cold Shoulder on ‘Medicare for All’ Is a Safe Bet Politically
- Harris defends support for Medicare for All
Segment three is our first ‘lightning round' which is not actually a lightning round but we didn't have a better name.
- Whitmer's first veto: don't make your bills referendum-proof and she won't veto.
- More Democratic Presidential candidates. Why? WHY???
- The benefits of running for President
- Civil asset forfeiture, away with you!
- Whitmer signs a bill forgiving 4 more K12 school days. Why is this important? Christine rambles a bit but this should answer some of the questions about why schools can't just extend the school year or have school days during a normal holiday break.
This week Walt talks to Michigan House Democratic Leader Christine Greig. She joins us to discuss the recent car insurance bills, redistricting, and the dynamics of bipartisanship.
- State Representative Christine Greig, District 37
- Michigan House passes rate relief for no-fault auto insurance
- Whitmer blasts GOP auto insurance reforms, says she's ‘done playing games'